Saturday, June 21, 2014

Confused Chicken


I have to start by saying that I know I failed when I said I would have a delicious chicken recipe with the Tzatziki sauce up on Friday. I should know better than to set a any kind of time line for myself. I'm a horrible procrastinator and also notorious for changing my mind and plans at the last minuet. And that is exactly why this wasn't posted on Friday. Instead of coming home and making dinner Friday, I met up with some of my friends for a tasty evening of food truck delights. Fish tacos, fish nacho's and ice cream (ok, of course wine too) were what I spent the evening devouring. I love eating off the grid, and trying out all of the unique creations that people come up with. Since that's what I love to do myself, it's fun to get out there and support people who enjoy doing the same. 

The husband and I had a very long day of "spring" cleaning the house today...yes, I know it's June, didn't I say I was a horrible procrastinator? After a long day of working we decided to check out a reflexology foot spa in our town, and let me tell you was it the best choice I made today, besides making this chicken : ) We've been going doing reflexology for years now, but have not tried out this spot since we moved. I was still going to one of my favorite places when I had time in the town we used to live in. The convenience of only having to drive down the road made this experience even better!
After getting centered and feeling one with my inner zen, I really wanted to make sure that my dinner was healthy and light to help keep that feeling going. I had defrosted some chicken this morning and knew that the Tzatziki sauce was going on top of it, but I knew I needed something different. Before we headed to the spa I had a glass of wine, and decided I needed some bruschetta in my life to accompany the wine I would be drinking after my massage (it's white wine so its light right?).  I made some bruschetta for my husband and I to have as an appetizer while I made dinner, and decided that the bruschetta was what was going to be on top of my chicken and tzatziki!

To make the Bruschetta:
Start by getting a pint of cherry heirloom tomatoes, and chopping them up, either in quarter's or small slices. If you can't find the cherry heirloom tomatoes you can use regular cherry tomatoes, I just love heirloom's personally and take advantage of buying them when I can find them. Once you chop the tomatoes, chop up 8 or 9 large leaves of basil, and 3 cloves of garlic. 
Take the garlic and 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil and cook it over medium heat in a small sauce pan for 1 minute. Add in the tomatoes and basil and a little more oil and cook for 5 minutes stirring constantly. After 5 minutes turn off heat. We used half of this for an appetizer,
We put the bruschetta on croutons that I made, which are also very simple!

Croutons:
Slice a loaf of bread thin (I used sourdough), pour some extra virgin olive oil in a bowl and brush onto both side of bread slices. Sprinkle with a little Parmesan cheese. Broil in your oven for 5 minutes on low, turning over halfway. Top with the bruschetta and enjoy!

The Chicken:
For the Chicken, I just used two organic chicken breasts and covered both sides with a little salt and pepper. I had the husband cook it on the grill and then topped it with a heaping teaspoon of the Tzatziki and a bunch of the bruschetta. It was absolutely delish! 

Bon Appetit Friends!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment